Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Zo's Thoughts On Limbaugh, Steele, DL Hughley, And Those Pesky Liberal Elites

Zo says it all much better than I can so.....but, I'm not feeling the whole Michelle Malkin thing (no girl crush going on) but other than that he is soooo ON THE MONEY!!!

69 comments:

The Pondering Catholic said...

I agree, he is AWESOME and ALWAYS spot on!!

Anonymous said...

Zo is a clown. His delivery is too bufoonish for my taste. The message gets lost in the delivery for me.

DJ Black Adam said...

Wellllll. Whose in charge of your party? Steele or Limbaugh?

Conservative Black Woman said...

Those are fighting words anonymous!!!! LOL, just kidding. I respect your opinion but I think buffoonish is too strong a word for him. I find his rants to be a bit silly sometimes but always substantive as a whole.

Conservative Black Woman said...

DJBA~You write:"Wellllll. Whose in charge of your party? Steele or Limbaugh?"

Think about it. Limbaugh is a private citzen with influence. He is a staunch conservative and to my knowledge not even a registered republican. Steele is the Head of the Republican national committee and most republican are not feeling the RNC because of all of the dumb moves they made during the last election. Nominating McCain was the stupidest move EVER so...I would say that Steele is the leader of the RNC and the RNC would be such a mess had they listened to Rush to begin with.

Bornearth said...

I just posted as anonymous and figured I'd come back with a name. I'm not a fan of Zo but think this website is great, thanks for keeping it going Conservative Black Woman. I like to hear various perspectives, not just one mainstream view.

DJ Black Adam said...

@CBW:

So not even the chairman of the republican party can call Limbaugh out? Fascinating....

Conservative Black Woman said...

DJBA~Sure Steele or anyone else can call Limbaugh out. I don't think he had any reason to apologize to Rush. I think the entire thing is a non-issue. Sure, Rush didn't like Steele saying that he is incendiary but we all know that Rush is intentionally controversial -- and I don't see a problem with that but he is usually right.

uptownsteve said...

Is this fool for real?

He says that Alan Keyes is OFF the plantation??????

Next to Rent-A-Negro in the dictionary, there is a picture of Alan Keys.

GOP rents him to run against Sarbanes and Mikulski for MD Senator.

When he tried to run for President as a Repub in 1992 the GOP locked him out of the debate and had him handcuffed and arrested for trying to enter.

How's that for respect?

Then they rent him to run against Obama for IL Senator.

Now they're renting him to file a lawsuit against Obama claiming the President of the United States is not a US citizen.

How does Zo feel about that?

Oh I forgot.

Zo is being rented to act as a modern day minstrel.

DJ Black Adam said...

@CBW:

Can't you at least see why I can't take the Right any more / or less than the Left?

Limbaugh is a demagogue, simple and plain, and honestly, I think the man is a racist. He and his ilk are why your party lost the congress and the White House, and you all STILL rally behind this guy?

I just don't get it.

Conservative Black Woman said...

DJBA~If I had never listened to Rush Limbaugh and just took the word of others about Rush Limbaugh then I too would think he is a racist. I listen to Rush frequently, I read his newletter, I visit his website-- I have not heard one racist word uttered from his mouth.

Before UTS jumps in with Barack the Magic Negro-- He is the magic negro and a bi-racial fellow at the LA times coined that term. The parody was funny and Barack is the magic negro as his acolytes thinks he will save the entire world. The fact that he was elected without being vetted,and the fact that the media is in his pocket makes him pretty magical in my eyes.

Oh yes, I can't see why you would be frustrated with both the right and the left. I just picked the side that I tend to agree with most often -- the right.

Conservative Black Woman said...

oops, I meant to say that I can see why you would be frustrated with both sides.

DJ Black Adam said...

@CBW:

"I have not heard one racist word uttered from his mouth."

Well, I used to listed to Rush everday about 4 years ago (I called it recon), anyway, while I can agree with some of his points of view, my perception of him is the same as that of Pat Buchannan and to a lesser extent Sean Hannity and even Newt Gingrich; that is, I view them as closeted racist with neo Nazi tatoos under their skin.

Could I be wrong? Sure, I admit that I could be, but I'd have to see some serious information to the contrary.

As for "Barack the magic negro", I think as Black people we shouldn't accept that type of language about those of us who succeed in this country, left or right. I was as sensative about comments made about Condi Rice (who I think is an exceptionally gifted and intelligent woman) or Colin Powell as I am about Barack or Michael Steele. All of these people are African Americans who are positive success stories rather I agree with all of their politics or not.

Conservative Black Woman said...

"As for "Barack the magic negro", I think as Black people we shouldn't accept that type of language about those of us who succeed in this country, left or right."

I think what you say is valid but before we can have hissy fits about white folks calling us Negroes or the ugly "N" word we need to stop using to about ourselves. As for Rush, Pat, or Sean being closeted racist -- what can you do? That's between them and God. As long as they keep it in the closet I will listen to what they have to say. I used to listen to Larry Elder but since he is off the air I have deferred to Rush. I think he is an amazing thinker and I really enjoy his humor.

DJ Black Adam said...

@CBW:

"As for Rush, Pat, or Sean being closeted racist -- what can you do? That's between them and God. As long as they keep it in the closet I will listen to what they have to say."

I guess we have to just disagree to disagree on that one. I rely on discernment for a few things, I have tried to listen to them just to understand, and after a few weeks with Hannity, I had to quit, it was negative energy I could do without. With Rush, same thing. I guess its a matter of perception.

uptownsteve said...

DJ Black Adam,

You are never going to get CBW to confront or condemn a white racist.

Black conservatives are not allowed to attack white people.

That's why white racists love and defend black conservatives.

Because they provide comfort and support to white bigots in blackface.

Limbaugh, Buchanan and Hannity among many others have long public records of ugly racism in the media that surpasses anything Farrakhan or Sharpton ever uttered.

Yet they remain respected even adored and well paid corporate media figures.

Farrakhan and Sharpton are freelance demogogues.

JudyBright said...

Hannity a racist? Please give me an example.

Pat Buchanan irritates me btw. He seems bitter to me.

uptownsteve said...

Aside from the fact that he bonded with a neo-nazi Hal Turner who was a regular guest on his show?

Or what about the fact that he regularly shmoozes with that nauseating Uncle Tom pond scum Jessie Lee Peterson who rants anti-black venom worse than most whites.

uptownsteve said...

Too Funny.

The "Rush Apology" Template

http://www.dccc.org/content/sorry

Conservative Black Woman said...

UTS~You are soooooo obnoxious!!! LOL

BTW, I am still search the archives but in the few years that I have listened to ELRushbo I never heard Hal Turner. In fact the first time I heard of Hal Turner at all was from Grannyfortruth over at Field Negro's blog. So, I'm not sure that you are complete accurate with that accusation.

Malcolm Kirkpatrick said...

What does it mean to call someone a "closet racist"? I see only one possibility: you acknowledge that you have no evidence for your assertion.

Without evidence, "racist" is pure slander (or libel, as the case may be).

Given how warmly Rush treats Thomas Sowell in telephone interviews, and how often he has had Walter Williams guest-host his show, the evidence is strongly against the "racist" accusation, seems to me.

How would DL Hughley defend his comparison of the CPAC conference to a NAZI rally? Enthusiasm? Is this a sin only with Republicans and not Democrats? A preference for a market-oriented system of title? Exactly backwards: "Nazi" abbreviates "National Socialist, German Workers' Party". Seems to me the most likely possibility would be the dearth of non-white faces in the audience. If that's his reason, just who's the racist?

uptownsteve said...

"What does it mean to call someone a "closet racist"? I see only one possibility: you acknowledge that you have no evidence for your assertion."

No evidence?

Limbaugh once said on the air "Blacks are 13% of the population. Who cares what they think?"

Now before you contort yourself trying to defend this garbage just imagine the fallout if Jesse Jackson said publicly 'Who cares what Jews think?"

"UTS~You are soooooo obnoxious!!! LOL"

Moi?

I've always though that I was kinda smoove.

uptownsteve said...

"How would DL Hughley defend his comparison of the CPAC conference to a NAZI rally?"

The hate, maybe?

DJ Black Adam said...

@Malcolm:

“What does it mean to call someone a "closet racist"? I see only one possibility: you acknowledge that you have no evidence for your assertion.”

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. Sorry I don’t subscribe to the school of thought that a person has to be saying the n-word or burning a cross for me to suspect that they are racist.

Limbaugh (like Hannity, Buchannan and Gingrich) play it pretty close, use all that coded language and passive aggressive tactics. Not enough to be called on it, just enough to let ME know, I wouldn’t trust them with a drunken bunch of their “good ole boy” (Joe Six-pack) friends.

But, that’s me…

Conservative Black Woman said...

UTS~ What percentage of the population then are black people? I fail to see the racism in that?

DJBA~Coded language? Do you have a legend for me to refer to so that the next time I listen I can "de-code"...I'm not being sarcastic. I am really wondering what language is alluding me.

Conservative Black Woman said...

UTS~Please answer me honestly. Did you watch any part of CPAC or read any transcripts? If so, what hate was espoused? If not, perhaps you should listen to some of the speakers on CSPAN. I assure you I was glued to the idiot box this weekend going between SOBU and CPAC and I can assure that CPAC speakers were not quite as (I won't say hateful) but contentious as SOBU speakers.

DJ Black Adam said...

@CBW:

"DJBA~Coded language? Do you have a legend for me to refer to so that the next time I listen I can "de-code"...I'm not being sarcastic. I am really wondering what language is alluding me."

Depnds on who ist coming from CBW.

If you don't catch it, you won't, no matter how I break it down. So again, we have to agree to disagree, however, I am open to you showing me evidence that they aren't racist....whenever you can find the time....

Conservative Black Woman said...

"If you don't catch it, you won't, no matter how I break it down. So again, we have to agree to disagree, however, I am open to you showing me evidence that they aren't racist....whenever you can find the time...."

DJBA I won't try to disprove it because who knows what they harbor in the deep recesses of their hearts. It's between them and the Lord. That would be like me trying to prove that UTS isn't a racist (no actually that would be harder) but my point is let's say that Rush or Hannity have prejudices towards black folks, would that make them any different than you or I. I think that you "believe" that because these men are white, conservative, and have no college education -- many black people feel that's the profile of a racist.

What could a non-college educated (that's coded for not indoctrinated by liberals) conservative white person do to prove he/she isn't a racist? Nothing, it's a foregone conclusion. If I wrong, is there any conservative white guy that you wouldn't be suspicious of? If not, then how are you not a racist?

One last point, I have a friend who is very unhappy with his church, and I suggested that he visit my church (my pastor is white)but my friend said that he would NEVER EVER consider joining a church with a white pastor....how praytell is that not racist!

DJ Black Adam said...

@CBW:

You wrote: "I think that you "believe" that because these men are white, conservative, and have no college education -- many black people feel that's the profile of a racist."

Sorry, though I am an aristocratic elitist, I have never held political affiliation, ethnicity or EDUCATION LEVEL as what I base my elitism or my perception of Rush and Hannity on.

In fact, until you told me, I had no idea if they had college degrees or not. All a college degree means to me, is that a person could retain information for a test, as a former enlisted Marine who dealt with officers from various ROTC programs and Annapolis, I really have found that there are many educated fools with degrees.

There are conservatives I take seriously and don't believe are racist, for example Bill O'Reilly, Mike Huckabee, Rick Warren, Pat Roberston whom I disagree with on a few issues, who are white males.

You wrote: "who knows what they harbor in the deep recesses of their hearts. It's between them and the Lord."

I know what I "percieve", though I do not judge them, I divide from them. Like I said, its how I see it, what I percieve from them by what they have shown.

DJ Black Adam said...

@CBW:

You wrote: "One last point, I have a friend who is very unhappy with his church, and I suggested that he visit my church (my pastor is white)but my friend said that he would NEVER EVER consider joining a church with a white pastor....how praytell is that not racist!"

Well, I don't know if that is "racist", I do know it's not Christian.

Conservative Black Woman said...

"Sorry, though I am an aristocratic elitist, I have never held political affiliation, ethnicity or EDUCATION LEVEL as what I base my elitism or my perception of Rush and Hannity on."

Ok, please accept my apology. There is something to be said for perception and discernment.

Malcolm Kirkpatrick said...

Again, "code" means you have no evidence. Any word can be code for anything. "If I mention geese, it means 'kick him in the nuts, right now'." "Geese" is then code for "kick him in the nuts". But how would an outsider know? The whole point of code is that it is not obvious. Your evidence is, by definition not evident.

I heard Ward Connerly, Newt Gingrich, Rush Limbaugh, and Ann Coulter speak at CPAC. I did not hear any hate. Disdain and mockery from Coulter is as close as it got. And that was directed at Democrats (yes, including the President), not non-whites generally.

"Limbaugh once said on the air 'Blacks are 13% of the population. Who cares what they think?' "

Sounds unlikely. Link? The only context in which I can imagine such an expression is if he paraphrases an opponent (a Democrat), who takes the Black vote for granted.

"Now before you contort yourself trying to defend this garbage just imagine the fallout if Jesse Jackson said publicly 'Who cares what Jews think?' "

I'd take that as political realism, not racism ("Hymietown", now, that's a different story).

"I am open to you showing me evidence that they aren't racist....whenever you can find the time...."

Guilty until proven innocent, huh? There's a word for that, from the Latin "pre" meaning "before" and "judge". Prejudice, much?

As I mentioned, the obvious respect Rush Limbaugh pays Thomas Sowell, and the numerous times he had Walter Williams guest-host.

uptownsteve said...

"UTS~ What percentage of the population then are black people? I fail to see the racism in that?"

omigod.

Who cares what black people think?????

You see know racism in that?

But if Sharpton says "interloper" you're ready to have a coronary.

I'm still waiting for a psychologist to do an empirical study of the "Black Conservative" to find out what makes you folks the way you are.

uptownsteve said...

Limbaugh's on the air racism.


http://newsone.blackplanet.com/elections/top-10-racist-limbaugh-quotes/

"As I mentioned, the obvious respect Rush Limbaugh pays Thomas Sowell, and the numerous times he had Walter Williams guest-host."

Of course he's going to patronize those clowns. They're his house negroes. They tell him what he wants to hear.

Sowell and Williams have no audience among their fellow blacks.

Williams even went so far as to write an adoring blurb for the book of a white supremacist, Jared Taylor.

You can google that for yourself.

Conservative Black Woman said...

UTS~I didn't read the second half of that quote...my bad.

Conservative Black Woman said...

UTS~I'm not going to waste time and energy defending Rush Limbaugh.

I will only say about the link that you provided....context, context, context. I watched the first Youtube clip (will watch/listen to the others as time permits today) but I didn't think that particular clip was racist. He is critical of PSBO --that in and of itself does not spell racist.

DJ Black Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DJ Black Adam said...

@Malcolm:

You wrote: "Again, "code" means you have no evidence. Any word can be code for anything."

Once again sychophant, I am not trying to prove my admittedly SUBJECTIVE opinion to you.

It is what I percieve, and it stands until I am persuaded otherwise.

uptownsteve said...

"UTS~I'm not going to waste time and energy defending Rush Limbaugh."

And you're certainly not going to attack him either.

That's why it's always humorous to me when I hear black conservatives talking about the rest of us being on some ideological "plantation".

It's all so obvious that you black righties are not allowed to criticize or challenge white conservatives in any way or your "acceptable black" membeship card and decoder ring will be revoked immediately.

DJ Black Adam said...

@UTS:

you wrote: "It's all so obvious that you black righties are not allowed to criticize or challenge white conservatives in any way or your "acceptable black" membeship card and decoder ring will be revoked immediately."

I am inclined to agree. Look at what happened to Colin Powell when he critisized the ideological direction of the party? And if the RNC Chairman can't critisize Rush, the Right doesn't seem to want ANY black opinions aside from the "party line".

uptownsteve said...

"the Right doesn't seem to want ANY black opinions aside from the "party line"."

That's purpose of a black conservative.

To present massa's thoughts in blackface.

Conservative Black Woman said...

"That's purpose of a black conservative.

To present massa's thoughts in blackface."


Oh, my goodness UTS! I'm sorry you see it that way. Sorry that it is inconceivable to you that a black person who happens to be a conservative thinker is capable of cultivating their very own opinions.

When you develop an opinion on something do you second guess yourself because a white person may agree with you? Because it seems that it is very important to you to never find yourself in agreement with "massa" (you obvious feel that white folks are your "massa"). If this is not the case with you then conversely why would you think that I would second guess or somehow wait to hear from "massa" (since I'm not enslaved mentally or physically this is impossible but to use your sick analogy I will go there) to formulate my opinion.

uptownsteve said...

Of course you have it all backwards CBW.

You black righties are completely controlled by the white conservatives who you seek to impress.

You'll never stand up to them regardless of how much they will disrespect you and yours.

How is regurgitating garden variety rightwing claptrap "cultivating your own opinion"?

And I notice that you still won't criticize Limbaugh in any way although I provided a link which details several replusive and racist remarks.

You know if it was Sharpton you would have given a 10 minute speech condemning him.

DJ Black Adam said...

"You know if it was Sharpton you would have given a 10 minute speech condemning him."

As Eddie Murphy said in "Coming to America": "Momma name em Clay, I'm a call em Clay"...

D-townRokCTY said...

CBW, You are an unbelievable woman.... I am YOUR biggest fan GUY …lol... I have professional and personal ties to the black community in Detroit and have never heard a black women so articulately argue a conservative point of view.... you are the one who is truly free.. free of hate, of group think, of seeing racism hidden behind every white face that don’t conform to PC dogma.... People who hold on to these things are slaves to them... Hate and racism are their massa…..

Anonymous said...

Don't look now CBW but still another smug white dude has officially designated you a "good negro".

What bothers me is that you're an intelligent woman.

You really don't see the condescension here?

"You're the first black I ever heard express conservatism coherently and I've been around a lot of Detroit blacks."

This is sad.

uptownsteve said...

The last post was me.

D-townRokCTY said...

Uptown,

You have just proven my point… All you see is racism….your a slave to it… How is what I said condescending? Because I note that she is not part of A group (conservative or liberal) parroting what others say but follows her conviction to the point that she will debate with racist pundits like you day after day… I think you’re the “good Negro” in this room… staying on the plantation of division and hate… even though there are no chains holding you there….

DJ Black Adam said...

@D-Town Rockcity:

You from Detroit eh? Man, I hope you are secretly Eminem, because you are going to need D12, G-Unit and Dr. Dre to save you from what’s coming from that last comment you made…lol

Off topic, do you know my boys the "techno" guys Derrick May, Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson up there?

DJ Black Adam said...

@Uptown:

"You're the first black I ever heard express conservatism coherently and I've been around a lot of Detroit blacks."

This is sad.

lolololololol

Leave the guy alone man, he obviously is crushing on CBW...

Malcolm Kirkpatrick said...

"It's all so obvious that you black righties are not allowed to criticize or challenge white conservatives in any way or your 'acceptable black' membeship card and decoder ring will be revoked immediately."

1) The terms "right" and "left" applied to political orientation indicate a one-dimensional view of the political continuum.
2) If you believe that black conservatives "are not allowed" (note passive voice; by whom?) "to criticize or challenge white conservatives" you have never heard Walter Williams guest-host Rush Limbaugh's show. Walter Williams criticizes Rush, at least to the extent that he counter-poses the (cultural) conservative positions on drugs and prostitution with his libertarian views.

This has been an argument about ad hominem argument, and it's stale, but ad hominem is all the Democrats have.

The government of a locality is the largest dealer in interpersonal violence in that locality (definition). Every law on the books is a threat by the State to kidnap (arrest), assault (subdue), and forcibly infect with HIV (imprison) someone. Advocacy of State action to solve problems amounts to advocacy of organized violence. Socialism is an infantile power fantasy.

The arguments for federalism (States' Rights) and market provision of goods and services reduce to the institutionalization of humility: the admission by central authorities that their knowledge and powers of calculation have limits.

Socialists take offense to free marketeers because free marketeers challenge socialists' self-congratulatory power fantasies.

D-townRokCTY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D-townRokCTY said...

What I meant to say is she is not part of the group…. But willing to speak out and debate… she is obviously part of the conservative group but not just a silent follower… I have talked to people who say they are conservative (maybe because they think that’s what I want to hear) but will concede quickly if challenged, CBW does not do that… I have been watching this blog for some time…

uptownsteve said...

"What I meant to say is she is not part of the group…."

WHAT GROUP?

The "usual" negroes?

Isn't that what you're saying dude?

uptownsteve said...

"Socialists take offense to free marketeers because free marketeers challenge socialists' self-congratulatory power fantasies."

Nah.

Progressives take offense to "free market" spewing righties because when they are in charge, they f^ck everything up.

Witness the current situation with economy.

DJ Black Adam said...

@UT:

"Progressives take offense to "free market" spewing righties because when they are in charge, they f^ck everything up."

Correction, they don't seem to F' it up for people in the top 1%...

Conservative Black Woman said...

D-TownRokcty~Thank you, it is nice to be appreciated and encouraged.

UTS~As my grandmama would say "I ain't studyin' you". I would like you to know however that I do appreciate you challenging me as it strengthens my conviction and affirms my resolve.

DJBA~Why do you instigate UTS?

An "effed" up economy is what we are headed towards. I sure you will concede (because you are obnoxious not retarded) that the dems have controlled congress for the last two years so "righties" aren't completely responsible.

DJ Black Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DJ Black Adam said...

@CBW:

You wrote: "An "effed" up economy is what we are headed towards."

Headed towards? It's what we HAVE

Then you wrote: "I sure you will concede (because you are obnoxious not retarded)"

Obnoxious? Et Tu CBW? Et Tu? :-(

Then you wrote: "that the dems have controlled congress for the last two years so "righties" aren't completely responsible."

Lets do the math: 8 years of Bush. 6 years of a Republican Congress and 2 years of a Democratic one. 8+6+2 = 16

That would make the Democrats 12.5% responisble.....

Zabeth said...

How is what D-TownRokCTY said any worse than what Joe Biden said about Obama?

D-townRokCTY said...

Uptown,
I was referring to black conservatives… I don’t know many

D-townRokCTY said...

DJ
The High tech electronic futuristic musicians? …. Ever hear of The Electrified Mojo

Btw, I said black women … and you’re right, it is sad.

D-townRokCTY said...

Uptown,
So you don’t think Steele, Keys or Zo are actually sharing their true convictions… they are just cozying up to white folk….

DJ,
Bush didn’t follow true conservative ideology in a lot of ways when it came to fiscal issues….

JMK said...

"Then you wrote: "that the dems have controlled congress for the last two years so "righties" aren't completely responsible."

"Lets do the math: 8 years of Bush. 6 years of a Republican Congress and 2 years of a Democratic one. 8+6+2 = 16

"That would make the Democrats 12.5% responisble....." (DJBA)


Wrong math.

Bush was a Keynesian economically. Hoover (the first bona fide "progressive" to ever occupy the Oval Office), LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush Sr., and Bush Jr were ALL Keynesians, who believed that "every problem has a scientific solution that only a beneficent government can implement." It is, in fact, modernized "scientific socialism" - itself an oxymoron.

No political ideology can be more bone-headed than that.

Reagan was a true Supply Sider, who inherited a record high post-WW II Misery Index (the inflation and unemployment rates added together) of 22, a 23.5% prime lending rate and an economy truly in shambles.

Reagan's policies (despite a lot of overspending by a Democratic Congress) improved the Misery Index EVERY YEAR until it reached SINGLE DIGITS in 1986, where it stayed throughout his tenure, as the prime lending rate dropped precipitously. During that same period over 20 MILLION new private sector jobs were created and (sadly) government tax revenues skyrocketed from $619 BILLION to over $1 TRILLION....yes, that surge helped end the Cold War by forcing the former USSR to attempt to match our military spending - imploding their already faltering economy, but after that, taxes should've been cut to levels where they actually forced government to SHRINK.

After Reagan, there was only really ONE other Supply Side leader of the U.S. and that was Newt Gingrich, who came in with the elections of 1994 and forced a reluctant Bill Clinton to sign onto 7 of the 10 planks of his "Contract With America."

Those included, CUTTING the federal budget for the first time in over a Century and slashing the Capital Gains Rate FROM 30% to 20%...both those were forced on Clinton when the Gingrich Congress shut down the federal government for a few weeks in 1995.

Those two things delivered the booming late 1990s economy.

Welfare Reform and Workfare completed a triumverate that did more good for Americans than anything since Reagan's anti-Keynesian revolution. Welfare Reform primarily ended the practice known as "double dipping", where many recipients would collect welfare from numerous locales. That's why in places like NYC and elsewhere, welfare rolls dropped by 50% and more virtually OVERNIGHT! They dropped even further, as other were put back to work and self-sufficiency.

In between Reagan and Gingrich, Bush Sr., flirted again, with Keynesian economic policies and delivered four straight years of double digit Misery Indexes, becoming only the second post-WW II U.S. President to deliver double digit Misery Indexes throughout their entire tenures (the other was Carter, of course).

G. W. Bush delivered TWO tax cuts early on (a Capital Gains RATE cut TO 15% and an across-the board income tax RATE cut) both of which had revenues skyrocket, at a time they needed to be falling.

Aside from those two clever tax cuts to enhance revenues, he spent and regulated like a Nixon or a Carter. In the wake of the business scandals of the summer of 2001 (Enron, Tyco, etc) he signed onto Sarbannes-Oxley, one of the costliest and far-reaching pieces of economic regulation ever enacted. Even when those tax cuts enhanced growth and ended the 2000 - 2001 Recession, the result was a largely "jobless recovery" due primarily to the costs of Sarb-Ox.

After that, Bush Jr. spent more on wasteful, pro-dependency social spending (even adjusted for inflation) than even LBJ did, G W pushed a housing initiative to increase low-income and especially minority home ownership and actually (through dubious practices that are wreaking havoc today) DID increase both low-income and minority home ownership rates more than ANY other U.S. President.

BUT even that, signing onto 0% down for FHA mortgages and having Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac buy up more and more high risk, subprime mortgages, was just reckless Keynesianism on Bush-Jr's part. Turns out that "creating credit (a form of wealth) out of thin air," is even more damaging than "creating currency out of thin air (inflation)," because it allows the private sector to print all the faux wealth (in this case credit) as it wants to. The kind of "credit socialism" that burgeoned over the past few years was as reckless an act as legalizing counterfeiting for a given period. AND virtually ALL of that came about in earnest under Pelosi-Reid-Bush-Jr.!

So, what we have is NOT, as you lamely suggest, a Keynesian (Obama) supplanting a Supply Sider (G W Bush) with "new policies," NOT AT ALL! In FACT, all Obama's done so far, is more of the same that Bush-Jr DID - more "UN-stimulating Stimulus packages," MORE bailouts and MORE excessive spending.

What we have is exactly what we had back in the late 1970s - a Keynesian spendthrift Republican (Nixon then and Bush-Jr. now) handing off a faltering economy to an even more enthusiastic Keynesian (Carter than and Obama now).

And CBW is right that "An "effed" up economy is what we are headed towards."

Ronald Reagan inherited DOUBLE DIGIT inflation, unemployment and interest rates (a 23.5% prime lending rate)...a staggering 22.0 Misery Index and reduced those every year he was in office, until they reached SINGLE DIGITS.

By contrast, Barack Obama has inherited a 7.4% unemployment rate (for 2008) a 2.2% inflation rate...a prime lending rate of 3.25% (SEE: http://www.wsjprimerate.us/) and a SINGLE DIGIT Misery Index (9.61
SEE: http://www.miseryindex.us/customindexbyyear.asp)...UNFORTUNATELY, we're NOT headed downward, we're headed UP in all categories or WORSE - we've already added $1.2 TRILLION to the National Debt in these first six weeks, unemployment is headed UP (8.1% and rising) and the pressure from all that borrowing and spending will push up interest rates (as the government, through its own borrowing, limits the amount of credit available for both businesses and individuals) and inflation.

We haven't had a year average out to a DOUBLE DIGIT Misery Index since 1992 (Bush Sr.'s last year in office). Carter left four straight double digit Misery Indexes including a staggering record-high 22 to Reagan in 1981.

With another Democratic Keynesian following up a Republican Keynesian, we may very well see the "effed up economy (of the late 1970s) which CBW spoke of - we're pretty far from there RIGHT NOW, but we SEEM to be headed back in a late-1970s direction.

uptownsteve said...

"So you don’t think Steele, Keys or Zo are actually sharing their true convictions… they are just cozying up to white folk…."

Yup.

Witness Steele's pathetic suckup to Gasbag Limbaugh a mere 24 hours after actually showing some spine for once in his life.

Black conservatives receive no respect in the black community because they don't stand up for us.

They don't even stand up for themselves.

They're grinning minstrels for the racist right, nothing more.

Malcolm Kirkpatrick said...

"They're grinning minstrels for the racist right, nothing more."

Like I said, nothing but ad hominem.

Is there a non-racist right?

Do you equate support for equality before the law (e.g., opposition to affirmative action and support for contract-at-will) with racism?

Do you equate support for market-oriented policies with racism? That would make Deng tsao-Ping, Lee Kwan Yew, Milton Friedman, Phil Grahm (his wife is Chinese) and Hernando deSoto racist, right?

uptownsteve said...

"Do you equate support for equality before the law (e.g., opposition to affirmative action and support for contract-at-will) with racism?"

blah, blah, blah

You'll scream about Affirmative Action (which has been all but dismantled) but won't say anything about discrimination against people of color in hiring, promotions, and lending.

And wasn't the lack of regulation of the "free market" one of the key reasons we are in this economic recession presently?

JMK said...

"You'll scream about Affirmative Action (which has been all but dismantled) but won't say anything about discrimination against people of color in hiring, promotions, and lending.

"And wasn't the lack of regulation of the "free market" one of the key reasons we are in this economic recession presently?" (UTS)
<
<
Employment and housing discrimination are ILLEGAL and they are routinely checked for with undercover teams.

Ethnic and gender based preferences SHOULD be illegal as well.

And NO, it wasn't "de-regulation that got us into this mess."

BOTH Congress and the Bush administration pushed for more low income mortgages. Bush himself signed onto allowing 0% down FHA mortgages and Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's pointmen in Congress (Rep. Barney Frank & Sen Chris Dodd) pushed those two GSEs to buy up/guarantee more and more subprime mortgages.

When the GSEs began buying up all that high-risk subprime debt, the banks couldn't write bad debt fast enough. On the government's part, this was a crisis born primarily out of well intentioned ("increasing minority homeownership" was a goal of the Bush administration's) but ill-conceived regulation.

What happened, in effect, was that the government temporarily allowed banks to create wealth (credit, like currency is a form of wealth) out of thin air, no different than allowing banks to print money that the federal government promised to back.

Bush Sr was a Keynesian (BIG Government) Republican, like Nixon and Hoover before him, who derided Reagan's Supply Side economics as "Voodoo Economics."

Bush Sr. was only the second post-WW II U.S. President to preside over a full tenure of double digit Misery Indexes, averaging 10.2 throughout his tenure, ONLY Jimmy Carter did worse, delivering four straight years of double digit Misery Indexes averaging 16.8 and peaking out at 22.

G W Bush was as Keynesian as his father was.

He sought for and eagerly signed onto Sarbannes-Oxley, one of the most expensive pieces of regulation in U.S. history, one that made the 2002 recovery from the 2000 - 2001 Recession a "jobless recovery."

He pushed for oversight and regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in 2003 and AGAIN in 2005....and was rebuffed by Congress both times.....and he overspent as much as LBJ, Nixon, or Carter ever did.

In 1976 a Liberal, but Independent Democrat (Jimmy Carter) took hold of a faltering economy from another Keynesian Republican (Richard Nixon) and continued Nixon's Keynesian policies of MORE spending and MORE bailouts, with disastrous results.

Reagan inherited the worst/highest post-WW II Misery Index and brought it down to single digits by 1986 and in the process saw 20 MILLION new private sector jobs created and tax revenues raise FROM $619 BILLION TO over $1 TRILLION by 1987, by cutting the top income tax rate in half (70% down to 35%) and cutting all other rates by 25%.

When the Gingrich Congress took over in January of 1995, they forced the first cut in the federal budget in over 100 years, slashed the Capital Gains RATE by 1/3 (FROM 30% TO 20%) and instituted welfare reform and workfare that eliminated "double dipping" and got millions of others back to lives of working independence. Those things helped deliver the booming economy of the late 1990s!

G W Bush's Capital Gains rate cut and across-the-board income tax rate cuts INCREASED tax revenues and masked a lot of his overspending, but that overspending, coupled with some very bad regulatory policy AND the government allowing, even encouraging the scuttling of traditional lending criterias, fueled by private sector greed (a natural human tendency) are what primarily caused this current global credit crisis.

Malcolm Kirkpatrick said...

(Malcolm): "Do you equate support for equality before the law (e.g., opposition to affirmative action and support for contract-at-will) with racism?"
(Steve): "blah, blah, blah."

No answer? That's a simple yes or no question.

(Steve): "You'll scream about Affirmative Action (which has been all but dismantled) but won't say anything about discrimination against people of color in hiring, promotions, and lending."

And you know this how?