Friday, October 17, 2008

Cover Me.....

When Mini-me (who will soon be 18) was younger and trying to figure out the world and why things are as they are she would so sweetly and innocently come to me for an explanation and or solution as if I had all of the answers in the world. What is so amazing is that to her I had the power to completely smooth over anything which unsettled her little spirit. I was her covering. If her teachers treated her unfairly (in her mind at least) she felt completely entitled to trot to the principals office to call her mommy. If other children were unkind to her as if under compulsion she expected me to tell her how to handle it even if it meant returning kindness for unkindness she would obediently comply—never questioning because she trusted her mommy. She was a sweet little sponge absorbing all of my love, awe and admiration of her -- she knew she was loved and was utterly secure in that. Mini-me now knows as enormous as my love for her is it doesn’t come close to the love that the Father has for her. It saddens me that as a normal consequence of growing into womanhood that she doesn't expect me to solve all of her problems anymore but such is life.

As I walked my dogs this morning (at least I'm still the center of their universe) and reflected on Mini-me’s early childhood, this song played on my Ipod I chuckled because I realized that our relationship and her dependence on me is somewhat of a metaphor for what my relationship should be with the Lord. It's so easy to get distracted and forget whose "kid" I am when I start thinking about the forces at play in our increasingly godless society. But thankfully I have an "Abba" Father to comfort me, give me peace and covers me.....





No comments: